Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Day of Parties

The best messy snack- a chocolate fountain.



We had a wild day of parties. We went over to the Teas's house (they started Camp Barnabas and are the couple that hired Jason). They gave Smith this adorable Santa outfit, Jackson a game and Mollie Jane some Tinkerbell dolls and Cindy baked us some yummy cupcakes. They are amazing human beings and have so been there for me this year (even well before Jason was employed at Barnabas). We saw them off before they went to Texas for Christmas and then Jackson had a party at school. Mollie Jane and I went, while Smith napped at home with Jason. I had this fabulous idea that Jackson needed hot chocolate and a chocolate fountain with all sorts of goodies for dipping for the snack. It was a crazy messy but the kids loved it and Jackson was so proud that I brought "our" chocolate fountain. He kept asking me, "Mommy, are you going to be my teacher for our party?" They made a penguin craft and played games. Jackson was also just as excited to deliver Christmas gifts to his secretary, principal and teacher. I thought it was very dear that he really wanted to give all these people something for Christmas. I was afraid that if I didn't come up with a gift he might spend hours at home and make a big mess trying to make some "lovely craft project" to give them. Much like me in first grade when I gave my principal Mr Combs at Westchester Elementary in St. Louis the most heinous quilt I made from my own "little girl" sewing machine. Oh Dear! So we made them poppy seed bread, a card and got them a CD. The best was watching Jackson walk in the principals office. I had this feeling he was dying to see Mr Baker's office. He thinks Mr. Baker is way cool but said he had never been in his office. Since, it is a private Christian school discipline issues have been virtually nonexistent (which is so good for our first born Mr. Serious, "by the book" rule boy). He said "only one little boy from our class got to go inside Mr Baker's office but he got a spanking" (although Jackson can't remember what he got a spanking for). Jackson finally got to see Mr Baker's office "spanking free." It was a fun party and Mollie Jane always picks a little girl in his class and shares a desk with her and just acts like she is part of the class.
We then came home and had a "camouflage, Dora party" for Jason for his big 35th birthday. Yes, it was a "Camo," "Do-Do" (as Mollie Jane affectionately has always referred to Dora as "Do-Do") party. My kids are obsessed with "themes" of birthday parties. They unfortunately get that from their mom who obviously spent maybe a few too many years in elementary schools where one's life revolves solely on themes. (I secretly admit that I love it. I think the world should revolve on themes- they're so happy.) Jackson picked "Camo" because Daddy was in the Army and this year Mollie Jane wanted it to be a "Do-Do" one as well. Jackson said Daddy doesn't like "Do-Do" and Mollie Jane's face was distraught. So I explained to Jackson just because it isn't Daddy's favorite doesn't mean he doesn't like it so out of that conversation a dual themed party was born. Usually Jackson has always chosen the theme (because Mollie Jane was too little). We have had spider man, clone wars, firefighter and now the "Camo, Do-Do" theme. It is a running joke that Jason's party is always the same crew. Due to the fact that his birthday falls 3 days before Christmas we can really never find anyone with free time able to attend except for his parents, his sister and our sweet Kilbourne family (who really are family to us). So any of my mass blog followers reading this (HAHAHA) please know it is an open invitation to come over on the 22nd to celebrate the birth of J. We were so glad to add Baby Vivian this year. Viv and her Christmas headband and Jason's fun candle that Natalie brought were the hit of the party. So once again that was the crew this year. It was fun and due to the craziness of the day and this year we opted for no pinata (don't worry dear- we will try to bring it back next year). We had a great dinner and yummy dark chocolate birthday cake. It was a fabulous day of partying!

The birthday boy at his party. I can't believe my camera died and I didn't get pics of the cake. Guess that is what a full day of partying will get you. Next year I am going to try to be more organized and remember to charge my camera!!

No comments: